In this short, entertaining video, Dr. Kayla Garnet Rose, Certified Hypnotherapist in Santa Cruz, California introduces the power of affirmations to activate personal change. From historical examples across a range of cultures, to well-known contemporary phrases and blessings, Ms. Rose demonstrates how affirmations create emotional deposits for self-esteem and confidence.
Scorpionic energy abounds, and we all cluster together like the gossips at the well, the hags around the cauldron. The power of the spoken word to cause harm is very much in the air. We all have the capacity to manipulate and power play, so choose to empower others and remain in alignment with your deeper values, morals, and ethics.
Scorpio also allows us to review not just our dirty laundry but our psychic lingerie. What makes you feel super sexy? What ignites your romantic passion? Remember, nothing is more attractive than desire.
Dr. Kayla Garnet Rose, CHT has been studying the esoteric art of Astrology since 1990. She is available for astrology readings online with Google Hangouts, by phone or in person. Call or email to set up your appointment for some astrochat with Kayla and discover the secrets of the stars found in your birth chart.
|Illustration by Karen Lindsey Harris|
I found myself in a little row boat on a foggy moor, pulling the oars and listening to the splashes. I beached on a small island covered in green grass, a lonesome stone tower the only building in sight. I climbed the stairs to find a single massive bed in a cold chamber, piled high with blankets. I knelt by the bed and took the woman’s thin hand, knowing she had waited for me to come so now she could die.A long time seemed to pass, and at last I carried her body down the stone steps. I could feel the bite of the shovel, the smell of moist dirt, as I dug deep into the earth. After I had buried her, I simply sat and waited, and after a long time, I noticed the grass was beginning to grow again.
When I came to, I knew the face of the woman, I knew what I felt I needed to do. The trance felt like days and weeks was really only 40 minutes long, and I can still remember it very vividly, as well as still appreciating the insights I gained in that journey, years later.
Transpersonal and Spiritual Hypnosis
“Much of hypnosis is oriented toward identifying and fixing symptoms and developing resources by utilizing the powers and wisdom of the unconscious mind, In this work, the ego or personality finds a particular symptom or behavior distressing, and wants to be rid of it - wants to return to its idea of health and balance, or the client wants to develop a new skill or attitude. This works well for instance, if someone wants to stop biting their nails, or pulling their hair (trichotilomania). Eating habits, sleeping habits, smoking habits can all change easily when the desires of the ego are met by the cooperation of the unconscious.
In Transpersonal and spiritual hypnosis, there is a subtle and radical shift in perspective and focus. The goal is not so much to be symptom free, or even happy, but to achieve higher consciousness. Symptoms are not to be understood as inconveniences or signs of imbalances but rather are appreciated and embraced as important signals from a place of higher wisdom. Carl Jung said “The gods speak to us through disease” but I have also head “All illness is initiation”.
In spiritual and transpersonal hypnosis, the client is searching for meaning. There is often the sense that a symptom that is upsetting for the ego may in fact be just what the soul needs to grow on its life journey. From a place of higher consciousness, change follows acceptance, healing is not always the same as cure, and wisdom is of the greatest value.
Past Life Regression/ Future Life Progression
Just as it is possible to move back and forth in time within one lifetime, it is also possible to move into other lifetimes - past and future - for healing information. A client (or hypnotherapist) does not have to believe literally in reincarnation for this work to be helpful, for it is possible to treat the experience as a meaningful dream. People often do past life regressions to explore persistent physical and emotional symptoms, to understand current life relationships, to access wisdom and skills - and also just for fun.
Some of my Experiences
• The demo in hypnotherapy school was one of the most powerful experiences I have ever witnessed. The teacher led an aide into a past life. Her whole body transformed before my eyes, her hands all bent and twisted, her body curled up almost fetal. In a deep, gnarled voice, she began to pour out a story of being a cobbler whose only daughter had been killed while out to fetch more leather. When she came out of trance, she felt that she had experienced a deep insight into her own personal path of forgiveness.
• I have done around a dozen past life regressions for my clients by now. I have had clients experience themselves as being the captain of a sinking ship, an African woman whose babies were kidnapped and sold into slavery; and one client who simply experienced being literally floating between the worlds. Her whole life was in limbo - job, marriage, etc. - so it ended up being the perfect place for her to hang out in for while, to feel at peace with transitions.
• One client came to see about a past life regression. After initial trance, I initiated ideomotor signals (letting the body communicate “yes”, “no” or “can’t/won’t answer”) and asked his body if it would be beneficial for him now. His body clearly answered “no”. We used the rest of the time to establish more inner resources instead.
• I recently attended Donald Michael Kraig’s workshop on Experiencing Your Past Lives. I thought my current stomach problems I have had this year, and set the intention to discover the deeper cause.
“And when I reach zero, you will be aware of your surroundings. Start by looking at your shoes…” I looked down at the coarsely stitched brown leather that had passed as my shoes for years. I was aware of vivid green grass, gray stones covered with paler green lichen, the feeling of a cow’s warm side, the fact that it was the year 800 in a borderland between France and Belgium (Rouen). I lived a simple life, making cheeses, laid out on wood slabs, needing to be turned each day, slowly ripening for market. “Now imagine it’s the day before your death, and allow an important message to come through…”
Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication about timing and the experience was cut short just when we got to the really juicy part, and I left feeling incomplete. Luckily I’m a certified hypnotherapist myself, and later that night I found it easy to slip into trance and really flush out the details of my experience.
I’m in a tavern, arguing with the inn keeper. I see a bone handled knife, very clearly. I see an abdomen, cut open, slippery guts sliding out - I don’t know if it’s the tavern keepers’ or my own. Later I am with my husband in our hut with no windows, just a hole in the ceiling for the smoke from the fire to escape. It is our last moment together, and I know I have made the right choices.
The message, so simple, so profound: Trust your gut instincts.
I see about ten to fifteen clients a week at my West side office. Here is a sampling of a typical week for a Santa Cruz hypnotherapist:
- A woman in her mid forties who is ready to quit smoking for good. We will do three sessions in three days as that's how long it takes for the nicotine to leave the body. Then we will do a follow up in three weeks, as that's when most people experience an emotional release and are most likely to start again.
- A gentleman who suffers from insomnia. We made a recording he can listen to before bed to relax his body and mind as well as to remember more of his dreams.
- A middle aged mother, releasing grief after the death of her son. We have been doing a Reiki and hypnotherapy combination, biweekly sessions for two years, focused mostly on soul retrieval work. She is now inspired to open a skateboard park to commemorate her son.
- An initial hypnosis session for a businessman interested in transforming stress and rage. We focus on peace and abundance, facing his debts, pending divorce, and releasing pains in the neck.
- A college student taking private tarot lessons. She started with weekly hypnotherapy sessions for 15 months, and is using self hypnosis for self empowerment. Now she is enrolled in the ten week program to learn professional tarot reading as a form of income.
- A regular client who is 60 years old who has done monthly tarot readings for two years. This is their check in system and now is doing weekly hypnosis sessions for deciding on life path after retirement.
- A young professional coming in for astrology lessons, who used hypnotherapy and reiki for personal transformation for the past nine months. Now they are digging deeper while going through job transition and seeking a soul mate.
- A new client for an astrology reading, who feels controlled by her relationships and seeking self realization and self actualization while creating an interdependent relationship with her new love.
- An elderly man using hypnotherapy in order to control sugar for weight management/diabetes. Three sessions so far, has been drinking less, discovering new sensualist pleasures instead of food as a life reward
- An ongoing hypnotherapy client, looking for what makes her heart sing. We have been doing bi weekly sessions for one year now, focused on selling her business and getting in touch with inner council for financial advice. Now she is pregnant and planning on hypnobirthing for a healthy, easy birth and transition into motherhood.
- A middle aged athlete, using hypnotherapy in retraining body mind for sports enhancement. Uses visualization for both ingraining the perfect throw and to let go of any stress both during game and greater stresses in life, such as work, mother in law, inner critic, etc.
- A freshman in college, terrified of leaving home. We have done monthly sessions for 6 months, using hypnotherapy to anchor feelings of self esteem, love and acceptance.
There is a saying, "Discontent is the first step in progress". My ideal client is ready for change, willing to do the work, and open to new perspectives. I am here to counsel you in joy through experiencing insights for personal change and transformation. Call or email for your appointment today - the time is now!
An introduction to the power of journaling for personal growth and positive change. Learn how your journal can be a working tool to focus your intentions to achieve your goals. Illustrated with many examples from her own work, the presentation includes exercises to stimulate your own journaling habits.
Whether you use an old fashioned diary or write a blog, publish your work or burn it, you'll find inspiration in this short video.
Dr. Kayla Garnet Rose has been journaling since the age of nine.